April 14, 2013

Chocotorta time!!

They say nothing warms up a heart like a good chocolate cake.. 
This Argentinian cake was born from the back of a chocolate cokies package (Chocolinas to be exact)... I guess someone tried it once, and then someone else.. Till it became popular, and now every Gringo that stays in Buenos Aires for more than 2 weeks knows he/she has to ask a local for a piece of this wonderful chocolate delight.. 

Calories: A billion. Do yourself a favor and don't even attempt to count how many calories go into this cake.. It's pointless and it will take away all the joy about eating it.

Ingredients:

  • Several packages of Chocolinas or similar chocolate cookies 


  • Dulce de Leche and cream cheese








  • Whatever topping you want.. Chocolate, Rocklets, Mousse or just any type of sprinkles.

So this is very simple to do, all you have to do is mix in your Dulce de Leche with some Cream cheese so it's not so thick and it can be spread easily (And also so it's not sooo sweet)


Then grab a cup of coffee or chocolate milk and soak in the cookies as you go.. 


Create your first layer of cookies like so: 


Spread a coat of your Dulce de Leche mixture on top of it, and keep adding layers until you like the height of it.

This is mine in the making: 



Once I was done I cleaned up the plate and put it in the freezer, meantime I boiled some water and melted the chocolate that then I spread all over the cake. Put the Cake in the fridge till we ate it. 

I actually made 2 cakes but I don't have pics of the 2nd one. The first one is the pic you see below, the 2nd one I made for my roommate's bday and I put a layer of white chocolate on top and rocklets all over :) Both turned out pretty awesome :)




Soooo Good!

If you can not get Dulce de leche where you are, here's the recipe (of course making the Dulce De Leche would transform this easy 15 min recipe in something that would take a lot longer but.. I'ld say it's worth the effort) http://fromargentinawithlove.typepad.com/from_argentina_with_love/2008/02/dulce-de-leche.html

If not, just take this idea and use a different filling, it wouldn't be a traditional Chocotorta but it would still be yummy! You can use one of those instant desserts or chocolate mousse.. It's really a cake to just be creative with and enjoy :)

And that's it for today.. Back to study I go.. Procastination is so evil to me :P



1 comment:

  1. good lord that looks good! why did I forget to comment on this till now? holy crap, I gotta find me the american takes on those things and make some of this, can't have you showing me up :P

    ReplyDelete